When you need to find the quickest way to get from point A to point B, Google Maps is usually your first instinct. It’s so good, in fact, that Apple included it as the standard navigation app on every iPhone. Unfortunately, there are times when using Apple Maps may not be the best option. For example, let’s say you’re traveling in a foreign country and want to use Google Maps to help you navigate the city and its roads. If that sounds like something you’d do at some point, here are some helpful tips on how you can make Google Maps your default app on your iPhone so that it opens whenever you need directions.
How To Make Google Maps Default On iphone
Change the Default Apps on Your iPhone
As you may have noticed, there are times when the app you’re trying to use isn’t the default app on your iPhone. For example, let’s say you’re trying to view your photo library in a browser. If you want to see the photo library, you’ll need to first use the Safari app to view it. This is because the photo library is not the default app to open when you tap on an image in a browser. If you want to change the default app for an action, you can do so in the Settings app. To get there, open the App Store and tap the “App Store” icon. Alternatively, you can press and hold the app icon on your home screen until a menu pops up. When the menu appears, tap “Open app” to open the app. Now, select the “Settings” app from the list of options.
How to Make Google Maps the Default App on iPhone
You can make Google Maps your default navigation app by following these steps: – Open the Settings app. – Select “General.” – Select “Default apps.” – Select “Maps” and tap on the “Select” button. – Select “Google Maps” and tap “Use as Default” to save your selection. Once you’ve completed these steps, whenever you need directions, you’ll be able to open the Google Maps app by tapping on the green “Navigate” button on your home screen. If you want to use Apple Maps instead, you’ll need to tap on the Maps icon (the one with the white icon of the Earth) and then tap “Get Directions.”
Tips for Using Google Maps While Traveling
If you’re traveling to a foreign country, you may have noticed that Google Maps offers two different types of map views: map views and satellite views. Map views are great if you’re looking for a street-level view of your surroundings. Meanwhile, satellite views are helpful if you want to see the surrounding area with a wider view. Once you’ve selected a map view, you’ll be able to see the streets, names of buildings, and other various landmarks in your area. If you’re traveling in a foreign country, you can also edit the map by zooming in and zooming out, adding places from your “Favorites,” and getting directions to different areas.
Google Maps as your iPhone’s Built-in Navigation
If you’re using the Google Maps app as your built-in navigation, you can simply tap on the “Navigate” button and select “Start Nav” to get directions to your next destination. If this is your first time using the navigation feature, you’ll need to tap on the button with the “?” icon, which will prompt you to select your destination. If you know the exact address where you want to go, you can simply type it in. If you don’t have the exact address, you can select your “Favorites,” or you can use Siri to find the address.
One Last Thing: Deleting Apple Maps and Making Google Maps Your Default App
If you’re using Google Maps as your default app, you may want to delete Apple Maps from your iPhone to open up more storage space. This way, you won’t accidentally tap on the Apple Maps icon and end up using an app you don’t want to use. To delete Apple Maps and make Google Maps your default app, you’ll need to follow these steps: – Open the Settings app. – Select “General.” – Select “Default apps.” – Select “Maps” and tap on the “Select” button. – Select “Google Maps” and tap “Remove” followed by “Delete.” You can then select “Google Maps” once again and tap “Select” to complete the process. Now, when you open the Maps icon from your home screen, you’ll open Google Maps instead of Apple Maps. Google Maps may be an optional app for your iPhone, but it’s an essential travel companion when you’re in a new country. If you want to make Google Maps your default app, follow the steps outlined above to make it happen.
How Do I Turn Off Apple Maps?
- Tap on the Maps icon from your home screen.
- Once you’re in the Maps app, tap on the “Me” button at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Select “Settings” from the dropdown menu that appears.
- Scroll down and select “Map Data” from the list of options that appears. Then, select “Don’t Use Cellular Data” to turn off Apple Maps and save data when you use it for navigation purposes.
How Do I Delete Apple Maps?
- Open the Settings app from your home screen.
- Select “General” from the list of options that appears.
- Select “Default apps” from the list of options that appears on your screen. Then, tap on “Maps” and hit “Remove” to delete Apple Maps from your iPhone for good. You can then select Google Maps as your default navigation app to make sure you never accidentally open Apple Maps again.
Which Is Better Google Maps Or Apple Maps?
- Google Maps has a more detailed interface, but Apple Maps is easier to use as it’s more user-friendly and intuitive.
- Google Maps is available for Android devices, whereas Apple Maps is only for iPhones.
- If you don’t have the exact address and you’re using your iPhone, Siri can help you find the location you’re looking for with Apple Maps, but there are no such features on Google Maps.
- You can delete Apple Maps, but Google Maps is an essential app that comes pre-installed on your iPhone from the get-go.
- Google Maps is free, but Apple Maps comes with your iPhone’s purchase price.
- One of the biggest advantages of Google Maps over Apple Maps is that it has more features and options than Apple’s mapping app does. You can easily switch between driving, public transit and walking directions, you can see traffic conditions for various locations, you can get alternate routes when Siri suggests them to you, and so on.
- The fact that Google Maps allows users to download maps for offline use is another big advantage over Apple Maps as this lets you access a map without an Internet connection and without using any data from your data plan.
- Google Maps is available for both iPhone and Android users, whereas Apple Maps is only available for iPhone users.
Q: How to Make Google Maps Default App on iPhone?
A: To make Google Maps the default app on your iPhone, you have to go to Settings and tap on General. Then, tap on Default Apps and select Maps. Here, you will see a list of apps that can open the maps. Select Google Maps and tap on the “Select” button. Now, when you open any map app, it will open the Google Maps app instead of Apple Maps.
Q: How Do I Turn Off Apple Maps?
A: To turn off Apple Maps from your iPhone, you have to go to Settings > General > Default Apps > Map Data and select the “Don’t Use Cellular Data” option. This is how you turn off Apple Maps from your iPhone without deleting it completely.
Q: How Do I Get Back Apple Maps?
A: If you want to get back Apple Maps on your iPhone, you have to open Settings > General > Default Apps, tap on “Map Data” and select “Use Cellular Data.” This is how you get back Apple Maps on your iPhone.
Q: How Do I Delete Google Maps From My iPhone?
A: To delete Google Maps from your iPhone, you have to go to Settings > General > iCloud and tap on “Find My iPhone.” Then, select “All Devices” and choose the device you want to delete the app from. Tap on “Delete App” and confirm the deletion of Google Maps on your iPhone.